The garden at Harmony Hill has been established for many hundreds of years and continues to develop every day still. There are fine specimens of Irish & English Yew that were planted at the time the house was built in 1750. A huge evergreen Holm Oak towers over the Woodland part of the garden underplanted with white and pink hardy cyclamen which flower from early Autumn through to the end of the year. In spring the area is a mass of purple and white honesty which seeds itself happily from year to year.
A path leads down to the Water garden edged still by the old red brick walls which boundary the old Flax Mill adjacent. Balnamore Mill was the largest mill outside Belfast and in it’s hey day employed around 600 people who walked from miles around to come to their long daily toil, making sail cloth for the many ships that were being built at this time. Sadly the Mill ‘blew the last horn’ in 1959 and it closed for good. It is now a monument to a bygone age but as it is listed will hopefully be saved from demolition and developed into either accommodation or even a living museum.
In the Water Garden there are 2 ponds at differing levels fed by a natural spring at the top of the paddock. Trish and Richard came upon it when they first moved here 22 years ago and channelled it down the then rough paddock into a large pond that is now home to dozens of Newts, they have since created a 2nd lake and it is surrounded by Bog garden plants such as Candelabra Primulas, Irises, Gunnera, Rodgersias to name but a few.